Friday, October 1, 2010

We are, not we will be, or we knew them.

This my mega colossal blog of everything I've been thinking over the past few months.


First, I must say that over the past few months I learned that I had a bunch of friends that I didn't know that I had. I'm not going to list you all specifically, but please know that if you've talked to me or been supportive in the past few months, I do appreciate it.


Originally when I decided I was going to post this, I thought I'd have more to write here but I've now come to realize that it wasn't all that important. What I think more than anything I've began to think about now is where do I go from here, where do we go from here, where do my friends go, and overall as a country (as were still in a time of trouble), where do we go?


I think even though I never thought about it much that I used to be really focused on the cultural attitude of "buy, buy, buy", I must admit that I'm not certain I realized that it wasn't going to fix problems or make me happy. Even now when I'm at the store it's become very funny, if I see the price on things now I don't feel so inclined to buy, buy, buy.... understanding and gaining a perspective of not having a limitless amount of money has been helpful for identifying stuff I really care about.


I really can genuinely say now that I don't feel like stuff like a vacation to disney, or california is what's going to make me happy long term. Sure, winning a trip to disney would be nice, but it's just a short getaway, and in the end the problems of the world do and will come back. Strangely now, for myself and for others it would just seem appalling to think about taking a trip somewhere knowing that myself and others are still struggling with things like appropriate jobs, and appropriate funds just to stay healthy and alive.


Sure, things I payed to do or could pay to do were nice, but just playing board games with local groups has been fun and enjoyable both back where I used to live and live now, and doesn't cost $20 like a night at the movies might. Also, I've sort of come to realize that in with an idea of driving and cars, perhaps it seemed that I'd become unaware of the reality of cars as a luxury. I know people drive across the parking lot when they could just walk, and I think that's sort of the sad reality of how that sort of thing goes.


Anyway, I suppose I should relate back my title choice here with my blog. I decided this blog was really a blog about me, my ideas, and the ideas of my friends and other influences I've had. I feel that often times were stuck in the idea of talking about "those people", or that perhaps we imagine that some people just as a group of people, unknown name unknown faces, if we don't know their stories or who they are it seems that it's much easier to pretend the issues don't exist. So I guess my challenge here, to myself even is both on a personal level and others to attempt to accept more of the story as I see it and to truly try to listen people telling their points of view in the way they see it. This also, however, should come with an understanding from both parties that just because some doesn't agree shouldn't be assumed as the person wasn't listening.


No comments:

Post a Comment