Sunday, July 4, 2010

A brief reflection on media sources.

I recently have correctly identified that I have some communication difficulties related to knowledge of media sources, in the following I'm going to attempt to outline what I've learned about my use of media sources.


When I meet a person I'm trying to gain information about them based on what media sources they state they like (celebrities, musicians, authors, etc.), I also realized that in the past I've been attempting to understand people through the use of apparel and word choice.



I've noticed that do to this identification method if I encounter a person who I have identify with a pattern of likes I experience a lot of distress and then have to attempt to understand why the person doesn't follow the pattern I predicted.


While I have found that to some extent exposure controls what a person will be aware of and enjoy, though I realize that overall a person who doesn't seem to follow a pattern I've identified is likely to ruin my system and cause me to get upset.


(Examples of hypothetical people below, person B will be the example of a person who is likely to confuse me when I meet them and cause stress):


Person A:

(Likes): Math, Favorite music artist is Tom Leher, Wears Jeans and T-Shirts, Likes Hiking, Seemingly quiet.


Person B:

(Likes): Chemistry, wears tight clothes, favorite color is pink, Favorite music artist is Lady Gaga, Has interest in strategy board games, and seemingly outgoing.



Person B in these examples is likely to merely confuse me as I attempt to evaluate how these likes would all be related. So, if I find a person who follows a series of interest which I don't seem commonly together I generally will try to get away from the person until I can attempt to process and understand explanations for how the set of likes relates.



In an earlier brief description of the practice outlined above, my significant other noted that this concept seems to operate in a way similar to Netflix movie preference predictor; I am choosing to mention the predictability comment as I felt this was an accurate summary of what I've noted above.


An additional area of concern related to this pattern relates to academic knowledge, as I have noticed a issue of definition variance among different fields of study.

4 comments:

  1. I think about this sort of thing too! I went through movielens and then netflix and on both systems I found that their recommendations got worse over time rather than better. That is perhaps because their collaborative filtering algorithm (that's the academic name for their prediction method) assumes that people form identity groups; that is person A and B will either both like films 1, 2, and 3 or both dislike films 1, 2, and 3.

    This assumption is probably justified in general, since NTs have a natural tendency to conform to identity groups, and that is where they derive their identity. So the more things they have in common with others in their group, the more they know who they are.

    I find it interesting that you distance yourself from people who appear inconsistent, which is what NTs do. I've often had groups of people eject me because they couldn't figure out whether I was friend or enemy. But I suspect you are doing it for a different reason?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, in general distance myself from people like this who I also am failing to explain what I'm thinking to, as if I can't predict what a person is thinking or communicate with them easily. When I can't figure out how have a conversation with a person, I start to panic as I feel like I'm speaking (for example) English to a person who only knows Mandarin Chinese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From my first example: The person in example B is difficult for me to communicate with as I can't figure out how I should explain what I'm trying to say because I'm still struggling to explain the pattern of interest and exposure that allows seemingly unrelated interest to all be stated interest of such a person.

    ReplyDelete